My Annual Adventure

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

As most of you know, my foray into the idiotic game of golf usually only happens once per year. Today was that day!
Our Property Manager, Brian McKeown, puts on an annual golf tournament for all the directors of the various boards his company Shabri manages.  It is a great day and it has never rained at his tournament in the 18 years of its existence. It is a scramble, or "Best Ball" which makes it very enjoyable for a duffer like me.  You never hit a bad shot twice. 
I was fortunate to be paired up this year with Dave Moore who went through the growing pains of our board in those first years. We were joined by a great father and son pair, Harry and Daryl Deline who own a paving company that does work for Brian. 


We had a great start with an eagle on the first hole, all shots from Dave.  By the 10th hole we were 7 under par. It usually takes 11 or 12 under par to win this thing, so surprisingly, we were in the hunt. The one outstanding issue was that we had not used one of my drives yet (you must use 3 drives from each player). Dave, sensing defeat being snatched from the jaws of victory offered me a few "tips"!
Well............. My drives straightened out and before you knew it, we had used 3 of my drives!! All the pressure was off for me.

We were joined on the last few holes by Dave's 2 year old son Richer. 
He helped line up a few of our putts and was a great caddy. 

 Unfortunately, we parred the balance of the holes and came in with that same 7 under. 
The Gods must have been smiling down on us though as the 7 under stood up and we were victors of the day over 35 other foursomes. I wonder  if brother Bud has ever won something like this?? 


It's such a simple and pathetic game!!!!!

No comments: