Solo

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

I left the condo and headed for Florida at 3:30 am.  This was a new experience having never travelled to or from Florida on my own before.  Everything was going well till just past Buffalo.  The blowing snow they had called for started to play havoc.  It was tough driving from just past Buffalo past Erie almost to Pittsburgh.  There was white out conditions and I just stayed in the tracks and kept this Truck's Tail Lights in sight.  It was a white knuckle run, but there wasn't much choice.  Erie was supposed to get 3-5" of blowing snow, so things weren't going to get any better by waiting.
Things got much worse than this photo!



Once into the Virginia's things improved dramatically.  Just put 'er on cruise, relaxed and listened to the tunes and the Stuart McLean Vinyl Cafe CDs that Judy lent me (thanks Judy, they were awesome).



A self portrait.  Just chillin' with my cool shades ;)



Once you pass through the second tunnel in the mountains, its pretty much all downhill and you can watch the thermometer steadily rise :)
Seems like every trip I take this shot of Lake Norman, home of fishing legend Hank Parker just outside Charlotte.



It was approaching rush hour, but got through Charlotte with very few slowdowns.



I was still feeling refreshed, so pressed on, past Columbia and made it all the way to Orangeburg, SC, a new first day distance record!  Checked into Country Inns and Suites, and because I'm a club member and much revered, they upgraded me to a suite!  Gotta love it.  Had dinner at the Cracker Barrel next door where Chris and I used to always stop to check out the discounted items after Christmas.

14 hours of driving and 800 miles!
Only 6-7 hours tomorrow and an easy 400 miles.

No comments: